Thursday, March 22, 2012

Purple Day

Growing up I had one friend with epilepsy. I never saw her have a seizure, but from what she told me she would fall on the floor and shake. The only cause for concern from epilepsy I knew of was the chance of injury from falling or driving when the seizure happened. Before Deacon, that was the only experience I had with epilepsy in 28 years.


Since then, I have learned what a tragic impact it has on the lives of 3 million Americans and 50 million people worldwide, Deacon being one of them. The effects of seizures varies so much but can cause physical disabilities, cognitive delays, Autism, and as you know from Deacon, speech and vision problems, just to name a few. Like us, I'm sure each night there are thousands of parents losing sleep over guilt, worry, online research, and weighing decisions about medication and brain surgery in hopes that their most prized possession overcomes this disease. We have found others online who are taking on the seizures as well, and lending advice while sharing their story: Bennett (yes, his parents have great taste in naming their children!), Trevy, and Sophie.


If you follow our blog, you know at least one person with epilepsy. In honor of Deacon, and all the others living with seizures, please join us in sharing Epilepsy Awareness by wearing purple on Monday, March 26th.

No comments: